Students who are unsuccessful in their first application attempt may appeal by submitting the “Appeals Form” before a pre-determined closing date in order to be considered by the University or College's Appeals Committee. Appeals will only be considered if there is funding available to make a loan or bursary to the student. All students need to supply an adequate motivation letter and supporting documentation to the university/TVET college. This applies to both students who are applying to NSFAS for the first time and students who were funded in the previous year, but whose funding has been discontinued.
Our aim:To transform NSFAS into an efficient and effective provider of financial aid to students from poor and working class families in a sustainable manner that promotes access to, and success in, higher and further education and training, in pursuit of South Africa’s national and human resource development goals.
As a general rule only the following appellants will be considered:
- Students that can prove family or personal distress had an adverse effect on their ability to achieve the required academic standards, through the submission of psychological or medical reports.
- Students who could not meet the required academic standards because they were unable to attend classes or write exams because of medical reasons (doctor’s certificate necessary).
- Final year students, who have not met the required academic standards, will be considered.
- Students whose Expected Family Contribution (EFC) has been adversely affected since the submission of the application (e.g. parent lost employment etc.).
- Any extraordinary circumstances by which the student had no control (strong motivation necessary with supporting documents).
The following will not be considered as valid grounds for appeals:
- Students who fail to submit their application before the closing date.
- Students who fail to meet the academic requirements without a valid reason or documented motivation.
Click here to Download the Appeals Form
Make a donation